Sunday, April 21, 2013

28mm British Brig in Drydock

HMS Pegasus, from Laser Dream Works

Well, no I've done it! Lured in by those sinister naer-do-wells at Laser Dream Works ("oh, yes; our ship models are easy to build" :) ) I pulled the trigger on ye olde mouse and clicked away $130.00 to purchase the little beauty shown in the picture above. It is a British Brig, as described below, and it will serve in his Britannic Majesty's Royal Navy, stationed at the port of Lisbon, circa 1809 -1814.

This wooden model kit is a reproduction of a 10-gun British brig based on admiralty drafts for ships to be built on Lake Chaplain. This faithful reproduction is for use with 28mm figures. The ship's deck is 19 inches long and 6 inches wide. It's overall length is 30inches and she is 24 inches in height. The ship comes with all the materials to build the hull, masts, and yards. It comes with ten of our 24lb cannon.  This kit is of intermediate complexity and takes from six to ten hours to complete.

I envision the model being used to film some scenes in the Iberian Campaign that Bill P. and I are conducting during the Napoleonic wars. I have no doubt that Bill will come up with some creative means to use the ship as a back drop for one of the episodes in the campaign.

The only fly in the ointment is that I've never attempted to build a sailing ship model and the prospect of rigging the darn thing is kind of daunting to me. However, I'm willing to give it a try.

9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing her sail into Lisbon Harbor and more.
    A very good idea.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a chance to use several of Laser Dream Work's ships in their game at Recruits this year. They are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking splendid Jim.I look forward to seeing her in action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to see a review od the kit and building process.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wincing at the price tag, but it does look a fine sight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ship,it reminds me of my 12 unbuilt kits I have.It is funny that kit buildingzeal you have as a child,does not transcend to adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely ship, will mame a greta modelling project

    -- Allan

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great looking ship, nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if at some stage she may not sail the Great Lakes.

    ReplyDelete