Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Four Day Weekend Begins


Prussian artillery battery - a great picture deserves a second showing. Minden artillery crew, Berlin Zinnfiguren cannon and limbers, Front Rank supply wagons, and RSM horses and drovers. Click (or double click) the picture to enlarge the view.

The picture of my SYW Prussian artillery battery is one of my favorite pictures in my archives. I think that I posted the picture in August 2010, but I like it so much that I wanted to lead off today's blog entry.

Tonight starts a long four day holiday weekend for me, with the office closed for Veterans' Day tomorrow, a vacation day on friday to bridge to the weekend, and the normal saturday and sunday weekend. That should give me plenty of time to recharge my batteries after 12 consecutive weeks of "balls of fire" workload at the office. I'm really looking forward to the time off and the promise of some significant family time and painting time mixed in for balance.

I plan to finish off the Minden Austrian grenadiers and then hopefully pitch in to some of the Austrian artillery crew. I've got a long way to go before I can bring the Austrian artillery park up the quantity and standard that you see for the Prussians, in the picture above. I will probably have to spend a full day assembling limbers, reins & traces, and riders to get all of the pieces that I need to replicate the complete section of cannon & crew/support-drag rope men/supply wagon/ limber team for each Austrian section. It's a lot of work up front, but the painting is relatively quick and easy, plus the end results are well worth the effort.

RSM Prussian & Austrian Sale / Foundry Russian Sale Pending
I have decided to sell off the rest of my RSM Prussian army and the remaining Austrian cavalry that I still have. With these armies being sold, I will not have a reason to keep my SYW Russian army (Foundry) either, so watch this blog over the next week or two for pictures of these armies. I will sell them as individual units or work out a discount for larger purchases of brigades or even whole armies. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Jim
    I wish you some excellent R&R- enjoy!

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Jim,

    Yep, the photo is wonderful and inspiring. ENjoy the long weekend!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photo. I always know that I can find eyecandy here.

    Will be watching for those Russians BTW...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    You picked a definite winner of a picture to lead off the blog. I remember being impressed with the picture in your earlier post and enjoying the description of how the battery was constructed.
    Can you share something concerning the battery? Where did you get the guns? I have been to the link for Berliner Zinnfiguren but still can't figure out where the guns are on their site.
    Enjoy the end of the weekend.
    Jerry Lannigan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the way that you represent the artillery in this photograph. Makes me want to do something similar. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fine looking battery indeed. I would be interested in the provenance of the light battalion gun being manhandled in the background - I am in the market for some light guns at the moment.

    Cheers, Keith.

    ReplyDelete